Search engines all have a version of local search – without being too biased, Google’s Local Business Center is one of the best aides to local search on the internet. Believe it or not, your business may already be listed in the directory, it is just waiting for you to claim it.
Claiming or adding your business in the Local Business Center is not difficult. The Local Business Center is part of Google Maps so you not only get a business listing, those who search will also get a map of your location as part of the results. Even if you don’t have an online presence, claiming or adding your business could result in more sales since local search is quickly becoming the most popular way to find a business – it will soon outrank local telephone books like the Yellow Pages.
To add or claim your business follow these straightforward steps:
- Go to the Local Business Center for your region. This can be found through your local Google Maps.
- Select put your business on Google Maps”
- You will need to sign in or create an account if you don’t have one
- Select “Add New Business”
- You can now enter your business information
- Follow the prompts to confirm the details
- If it claims your business is already listed then follow the screen prompts to claim your business otherwise follow the prompts to add your business
- If you have any additional details as business category, opening hours, photos, payment options, and so on then enter them in
- Submit your site and go through the verification process. This will be either via phone of postcard. Once verified the details will go live.
If you wish to add coupons you can do so along with the modification of any details after the listing has been verified.
How long does it take – roughly 30 minutes. Is it worth it? If you have a local bricks and mortar business then it certainly won’t hurt. If you gain one customer per month the 30 minutes taken will be worth the effort. It is also important to note that some unscrupulous people have been claiming businesses that have remained unclaimed and using them for their own purposes. This could affect your reputation – so claim your business and take it out of harms way.